2021 is in full swing, but we love to look back to pre-COVID 2020. Our signature event, The 13th Street Craft Beer and Wine Festival with Car Show on March 7, was one of the last public events of the year before Covid hit. The festival was a community and financial success. We could not have done it without our volunteers and the participation of so many local businesses.
Below is a video celebrating that event.
As things open up in 2021 we continue to be busy.
One big change is that we postponed our biggest event, the 13th Street Craft Beer and Wine Festival with Car Show. We’re considering an October date for this year. This also gives us an opportunity to apply for additional non-profit funding. Stay tuned for how you can be involved in this event.
Here is a list of actions taken in 2020 by your Central City Alliance board and its members:
- Became a 5013C non-profit.
- Received a $20,000 non-profit grant from the Central City CRA.
- Received sponsorships for our annual festival
- 13 th Street Craft Beer and Wine Festival
- Awarded “Marge Anderson Award ” to Katharine Barry
- Disseminated COVID 19 information on our website and social media
- Served on the Mayor’s COVID task force
- Partnered with HOMES Inc for Cares Act Food distribution, with funding from Community Foundation of Broward
- Partnered with HOMES Inc for “Chalk the Talk” – messages of Unity
- Hosted Art 13 – “Coming Out of the Dark”
- Hosted “13 on 13” – open air market
- Volunteered at Bridge 2 Life Educational event celebrating Black History Month
- Joined the Fort Lauderdale Council of Civic Associations
- Incorporated local police briefings in our in person meetings
- Hosted Ice Cream Social
- Pivoted to Virtual meetings, so that membership could stay connected
- Increased membership in the Central City Alliance
- Established regular communication with the Central City CRA staff
- Advocated for the for EBIP (emergency COVID funding) forgivable loans
- Advocated for City to plant trees in the medians
- Worked to eradicate graffiti on local commercial buildings
- Implemented the Community Garden restoration project at HOMES Inc.
- Decorated the Unity Circle with Holiday decorations
- Received $500 donation from District 2 Commissioner Steve Glassman
- Hosted Art 13 – “And That Was 2020” projection exhibit
- Hosted Holiday Social – Sponsored by Luxxso Auto